Do you ever sit with your emotions?


 Emotions can be overwhelming and sitting down and acknowledging them can be a hard task cos why feel emotions when you can just assume them or try to forget them? Is this the reason why people end up being alcohol and drug addicts?... I am not sure.

You can imagine if you are in a season in life where almost all things are not working as expected and you go to bed every day with negative feelings because you have no sense of accomplishment or contentment in life. Then maybe alcohol and drugs or sex is/are your way out. Quick solutions.

Mimi sijui if I am alone in this but for me to feel good at the end of the day, I must be having that feeling of accomplishment and contentment in life, like maybe I did my job well, my to-do list was ticked off and maybe I had good social interactions. I get negative feelings when I do not get these things at the end of the day, plus if I made mistakes or I feel there is something I did differently from how I should have done.

For me again, I have three types of feelings/emotions. Happy feelings, bad emotions, or the empty phase or feeling. The empty feeling or phase for me is those days that I am not happy and I am not sad... I am just there breathing and living in the moment. Those are the days that my brain gets to relax and breathe pia. Days when I am calmer and peaceful, I love those empty phases. Maybe hizo empty phases in low-key happiness, maybe cos us we know happiness should be physical na maybe true happiness is just being peaceful and contented about who you are and what you have.

So, do you ever sit with your emotions? This means that whenever you are not feeling good or when you are having bad emotions, you try to feel them by asking yourself why you are feeling the way you are feeling and trying to look for solutions to handle your emotions. Thiiiiiiis is what I hate most, mimi I've grown up hiding and repressing my emotions so now if you tell me to face them as they areeee! wueeh!

But it's a good way of dealing with stress. When you get those bad emotions or when you are feeling bad about something, Try to identify why you are feeling bad, then what led to that state of feeling bad, and what exactly about that thing or that event makes you feel bad. You can write them down. When you narrow down to that one or more thing that makes you feel bad, ask yourself why that specific thing and then come up with ways of handling that thing.

For example; 
You had a fight with someone, and in between you had an exchange of words. You end up feeling bad about it, so here is a guide...
1. Why I'm I feeling bad?
2. What exactly is making me feel bad about that fight?
3. If it is about the words that the person said, then why feel bad about that?
4. From there you will now look at different options for dealing with the emotions. Do you need to work on your anger, or is it self-esteem, is it creating boundaries with friends ama it's working on yourself?

Most of the time sitting with these negative emotions helps us to just accept situations and heal the heart... or is it making peace with your mind, heart, soul, and spirit? I don't know. It's the same thing with talking about how you feel to someone else, or through journaling. It relieves the mind of stress.


What do you think?



Comments

Popular Posts