The Kite Runner
I am back again after I stopped reading books in March because my life almost ended. Since I'm now healed, lets get back to business.
The Kite Runner
This book is phenomenal, amazing, thought provoking and everything good. It explains trauma well, has all sorts of violence and i never knew I'd be so intrested in historical fiction especially one that is based on Afghanistan history.
Now my new interest in books is on historical fiction. I've loved non-fiction for long because you get to learn a lot especially since I'm big on self-development, and personal growth and also since my career as a psychologist expects me to read a lot of that.
So, the kite runner.
I love the author of this book Khaled Hosseini. I love how he brings out his characters.
The story is based in Afghanistan from a boy called Amir, talks about his baba and their servant whose son happened to be Amir's step brother.
The book is full of grief, trauma, violence, including sexual violence, war, public persecutions.... the writer explains how Kabul, Amir's home town turned from a good, peaceful place full of love and community to a Kabul that was destroyed by the talibans. A town that was once full of life was later a town full of rubbles, the minority tribes- the hazaras were killed, and men were now a rare commodity since they never made it out war.
I honestly do not know how to explain it well. It was like watching a series that's full of war, violence, death and the injustice of life.
It made me appreciate living in a country that is peacefull and democratic. And i pray we stay like that because I wouldn't survive in a country like Afghanistan.
I think One thing I love about historical fiction is how it introduces you to what the past looked like for different countries aroundthe world. One of the books i read in February was based on a man who survived holocaust. That's where i learned that there were concentration camps, how people were killed in them and the TRAUMA that it caused.
Have i read about my own country's history? No, but i am definitely looking into reading it. Of course i know the history but I'd want to know the ins and outs of it.
Did I learn anything from the book? NO!
I just got secondary trauma from it and I'm definitely reading all of this authors books.
The book broadened my knowledge on the issue of Afghanistan and where they are now.
Best read so far.

Comments
Post a Comment